Oral rehydration solution(ORS) is a therapy that helps to prevent or replace lost fluids from diarrhea and/or vomiting and its the most effective and cheapest way of managing diarrhea especially before you get access to a health care facility.However, do you know you can save money by preparing this solution on your own rather than buying the prepacked ones.It is very easy to prepare with items you already have in your kitchen.
- 1000mls(1 litre ) of water
- A bowl
- A kitchen wooden spatula and teaspoons
- 6 teaspoons of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt preferably iodized salt
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water
- Wash the bowl ,wooden spatula and teaspoons as well with soap and water
- Put water on fire and allow it to boil .
- Allow water to cool after boiling.
- Measure 1 litre of boiled water into the bowl.
- Add 6 teaspoons of sugar to the water.
- Stir with the spatula and add 1/2 teaspoon of salt .
- Continue stirring the mixture with the spatula till the salt and sugar dissolve properly.
- Give 1/2 litre of ORS each day to babies and toddlers who have diarrhea.
- Give 1 litre of ORS each day to children who have diarrhea and/or vomiting.
- Give 3 litres of ORS each day to adults who have diarrhea and/or vomiting.
- Discard any left over ORS after 24 hours i.e prepare fresh ORS every 24 hours.
- Go to the nearest hospital as soon as possible and drink more ORS on your way.