Hand washing is the most important means of preventing the spread of germs as well as the best way to keep yourself from getting sick. Whenever your hands get in contact with germs, you can unknowingly become infected simply by touching your eyes, nose or mouth and once a member of the family becomes ill, it’s usually just a matter of time before the whole family comes down with the same illness.
When do you wash your hands?
- Before and after cooking and eating.
- Before and after using the bathroom.
- After blowing one’s nose, coughing or sneezing.
- After touching animals including family pets.
- After cleaning around the house
- Before and after visiting or taking care of any sick friend or relative.
- Whenever your hands feel sticky or dirty.
- When your hands are visibly soiled
Materials needed for hand washing are:
- Soap that can form lather(this could be a plain soap, an antiseptic/medicated soap or detergent)
- A clean towel
How do you wash your hands?
Prior to washing your hands; rings,bracelets and wristwatches should be removed and long sleeves rolled up.Proper hand washing should take about 15 to 30seconds.
- Wash your hands in water first
- Use soap and lather up for about 20secs
- Make sure you get in between the fingers and under the nails where germs like to hide and do not forget the wrists
- Rinse and dry well with a clean towel
Good hand washing is the first line of defense against the spread of many illnesses e.g common cold, diarrhea, flu e.t.c. Therefore, never underestimate the power of hand washing, the few seconds you spend at the sink could save you trips to the hospital.