Body Odor (popularly known as B.O) is a perceived unpleasant smell our bodies can produce when bacteria that lives on the skin break down sweat into acids.B.O becomes evident and pronounced if certain steps are not taken before or when an individual reaches puberty. B.O is more likely to occur in the groin, feet ,armpits, genitals, pubic hair and feet. The following are predisposing factors to B.O:
- Obese people
- People who regularly eat spicy foods e.g garlic, onions e.t.c
- Individuals with certain medical conditions
- Individuals on certain medications
- Some drinks like alcohol
- People suffering from excessive sweating(hyperhidrosis)
Tips on preventing or overcoming body odor
- Regularly shave the armpits and pubic hair because hair slows down evaporation of sweat.
- Shower at least once a day and twice a day if the weather is extremely hot.
- Use antibacterial soap when bathing and washing the armpits.
- Reduce intake of spicy foods because they have the tendency to make sweat smell pungent
- Wear clothes made of cotton or wool because this allows the skin to breathe and enhances evaporation of sweat.
- Always keep your clothes fresh and clean.
- Avoid certain drinks like alcohol; avoid smoking as well
- Use antiperspirant or deodorant; this blocks the action of sweat glands resulting in less sweating.